Durango, CO – The National Weather Service has forecasted heavy snow and thunderstorms to continue throughout the day. Snow loads and deep drifts are hampering access. The Colorado Department of Transportation has closed Highway 550 north of Durango Mountain Resort and east of Bayfield. The Durango-La Plata County Airport is closed.
- Motorists are advised to use caution as the roads are icy and treacherous. If possible, citizens are asked to stay in their homes.
- Shelters and warming stations established for those who have lost their heat or power. Those who have lost their heat or power are welcome to warm or shelter.
Warming Stations have been set up at:
- Upper Pine Fire Station north of Vallecito Lake
- Sky Ute Casino
- La Plata County Fairgrounds
- City of Durango Rec Center
Shelters have been set up at:
- Animas Valley Elementary
- Ft. Lewis Mesa Elementary
- Sunnyside Elementary
- Bayfield High School
La Plata County Emergency Management has set opened their Emergency Operations Center and has a hotline for residents with special needs: (970) 555-5555.
- If you smell gas inside your home, turn off your gas and call the hotline. Be sure that the snow is shoveled out around the well where the gas line goes into your home.
The Southwest Incident Management Team has been brought in to assist the City of Durango and La Plata County with the response. Additional information will be provided as it becomes available and will be posted to the SWIM Team website at www.swimtco.com and to the La Plata County website at www.co.laplata.co.us. Updates are also being posted to FaceBook on the La Plata County Government page, the Southwest Incident Management Page and the City of Durango page. Radio and Television stations will be given emergency alert messages.
Follow twitter updates @lpc_oem or @swimtco. To receive Twitter feeds without having to sign up for twitter, text “FOLLOW LPC_OEM” to 40404 on your cell phone and you will receive all updates posted by text message.